Friday, February 27, 2009

To Charles Bernstein, RE: disfrutes

I bought your book online, at a site specializing in small presses, because they were having a big sale. (I think Kasey Mohammad's blog alerted me to this...) And since you're one of the giants of L=A=N=G=U=A=G=E, and as a poet, I feel like I need to have some kind of understanding of every major 20th Century movement, I bought "disfrutes". Which I don't understand, except for as a L=A=N=G=U=A=G=E book and in design terms, as a very handsome little volume that will look awesome on my new book shelf (above). Though let me say that I did "enjoy" (nice pun for you Spanish speakers out there) the book--how much space is utilized on the pages--and I especially enjoyed the pages that had a sonic beauty that could at least, possibly, carry some sort of meaning in terms of conventional usage (even though I know that's not the point). Here are two examples (these are the entire pages and the type is always set right in the middle, in a Courier or similar font, though FYI, the spacing of the words, other than the line-breaks, has been ruined by blogger):

flown
(bestride

un-
kept and
undulating


elevated

(as if

half loaved
and
lustre

and then the very last page, which, in its regularity, creates closure:

settled
(and then)

spat

upon

Which is funny if it's language or poetry that's getting the spittle.

No comments:

Post a Comment